Russell Brand charged with multiple sexual offences, including rape



UK police have charged actor-comedian Russell Brand with rape and multiple counts of sexual assault over several allegations between 1999 and 2005.
Brand, who was once one of the UK’s most high-profile comedians and broadcasters, has positioned himself in recent years as a social commentator on the internet.

Police said Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault, and that the charges relate to four separate women.

Brand is charged with the rape of a woman in 1999 in the Bournemouth area and the oral rape and sexual assault of a woman in 2004 in the Westminster area of London.
He has also been charged with indecently assaulting a woman in 2001 and sexually assaulting another woman between 2004 and 2005 — both offences are alleged to have taken place in Westminster, London.

Brand denies all charges.

In a video posted on X, Brand said, “I’ve never engaged in non-consensual activity. I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes.”
“I want to thank all of you for your continuing support. Of course I am now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court and I’m incredibly grateful for that,” he added.
Police said the “investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward.”
Brand will appear in court in London on May 2.
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit .
In an emergency, call 000.
For the latest from SBS News, and .



Source link