Tilda Swinton, Javier Bardem and others criticise Berlin Film Festival’s ‘silence’ on Gaza


In brief

  • Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival in the past.
  • It comes after comments by the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, that filmmakers should stay out of politics”.

More than 80 film industry figures including Oscar-winning actors Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton issued a statement on Tuesday slamming the Berlin Film Festival’s “silence” on Gaza.

The signatories to the open letter, sent to AFP, said they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and “dismayed” at its “involvement in censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza”.

Their statement came after the Berlinale’s jury president, German director Wim Wenders, answered a question on Gaza last week by saying: “We cannot really enter the field of politics.”

That prompted a backlash, including the decision by award-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy to withdraw from the festival, where she had been due to present a restored version of a 1989 film she wrote, In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones.

Prominent directors who signed the letter include British filmmaker Mike Leigh and the American Adam McKay.

The signatories include many artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival. Swinton was herself last year awarded its prestigious Honorary Golden Bear award.

Berlin Film Festival has faced criticism after the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, said filmmakers should “stay out of politics”. Source: AAP / EPA / Clemens Bilan

They said they “fervently disagree” with Wenders’ comments, arguing that filmmaking and politics cannot be separated.

“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter adds.

The signatories took exception not only at the Berlinale’s stance of not engaging on the issue of Israel’s action in Gaza, but also “the German state’s key role in enabling it”.

When asked about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference on Thursday, Wenders said filmmakers had “to stay out of politics”.

“We have to do the work of people, not the work of politicians,” he said.

On Saturday, the Berlinale put out a statement defending Wenders from the subsequent “media storm”, suggesting that his remarks had been taken out of context.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle said that artists “are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose” and should not “be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to”.

In 2024, the festival’s documentary award went to No Other Land, which follows the dispossession of Palestinian communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Hamas’ attack on Israel in October 2023, in which more than 1,200 people were killed, sparked the devastating two-year war that saw Israel destroy most of Gaza and kill more than 70,000 people, according to health authorities in the territory.

In August, Germany imposed a partial arms embargo on Israel, which was lifted in November after the announcement of what has proved to be a fragile ceasefire for Gaza.

A United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry (COI), which does not speak on behalf of the UN as a whole and has been sharply criticised by Israel, concluded in September that Israel was committing genocide in Gaza.

Israel is separately defending a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which has ordered provisional measures but has yet to issue a final ruling.

Israel has repeatedly denied committing genocide in Gaza, saying it has the right to defend itself.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.



Source link